Sunday, December 03, 2006

And all...that.... JAAAAAAAAZZ!


Wow! Shirley, Carolyn, Tai and myself went to see Chicago today and it was an incredible show! Our tickets were on the balcony at the side of the theatre - so you had to pop your head out a bit to see the whole stage, but the seats wern't too bad overall. Because of the success of the movie, the show was sold out - but in retrospect I can see why! It was 2.5 hours filled with the most talented acting, singing and dancing I've seen in a long time. I have to say though - if I hadn't watched the movie first I would have probably been confused at the beginning, but the show was similar enough to the movie (or the other way around really!) to know what was going to happen next, but different enough that it was still entertaining and held some element of surprise.

Most shocking scene: Towards the end of the show, at Roxie's trial the cast is singing about how not everything is as it seems - then Billy Flynn pulls a wig off of Miss. Sunshine, and surprise! It turns out that Miss. Sunshine was being played by a man the whole time! This guy switched back and forth from singing like a woman to singing like a man with such ease, it was really quite earie, but impressive!

Favorite parts: Definitely the singing! The tunes are catchy and up beat (even though they're singing about murder...kind of paradoxical), which made it really tempting to join right in! I'm not sure how much they would have appretiated that...I still have the songs stuck in my head. They also had the orchestra right on the stage, and involved them in the acting/lines - refreshing!

Overall, definitely the best theatre show I've been to (although I've only really been to two others - Lord of the Rings, which was so boring I fell asleep, and Medea) but even so...BLAH it was sooo good!

If you're in Toronto and can still find tickets to the show, GO!!!! You won't regret it!

On a side note, if you're wondering whether that's Kevin Richardson in the photo above - it is! He played Billy Flynn the lawyer! It was so wierd - I kept seeing him as the backstreet boy (you know in the Backstreet's back video how he's kind of wearing that kind of outfit?) but he was actually really good in the role!

2 Comments:

Blogger Les Yeux Caches said...

ohh Kevin...he was my favorite!!!!!

3:43 PM  
Blogger ~diana~ said...

Ah....no wonder the guy looked familiar in the poster. Cool!!!

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home