Thursday, March 29, 2007

First Steps in Prep for India

Besides the CEED preparation weekend last weekend and a quick chat with the MCVP PD of India, until today I hadn't done too much to prepare for going to India. But today during a study break at Chapters, I bought 3 things in preparation for my envoy - A travel book, a history book, and my new favorite toy - a set of CD's to learn Hindi with! Probably not the smartest move given that I'm writing my MCAT in just over two weeks and the last thing I need is another distraction...but meh! I havn't started reading the books yet, but I quickly popped in the first CD of my hindi lessons. My first lesson was following a conversation between Amit, who had just married Angeli, and Rohan on the plane...to India I assume! What did I learn? Well, Amit is from London and Rohan is from Delhi and both are very tired! Also, my pronounciation is not all that bad! Likely because I speak Singhalese, but maybe it's my sister's influence from listening/watching all those hindi movies and songs too! I'm going to try using all the phrases I know from songs/movies when talking to people. I wonder how people would react if I went up to them and said "Kuch kuch hota hai!" :P

Anyhoo, I'm super excited to immerse myself in learning more about the culture and history after my exam is over! I'm also making Puneet help me learn Hindi - which he doesn't know yet...so I hope he actually does speak Hindi...?!

Mai thaka hu! Good night! (I think that meant "I'm tired"...I'm not really but I figured it would be the most appropriate thing I could coin together for this time of night!)

3 Comments:

Blogger eLdon said...

What does: "Kuch kuch hota hai!" mean? ... yay for learning new languages ... though I think you should be studying to be a doctor ... who are we kidding you are probably alllll studied up!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Les Yeux Caches said...

haha yeahh Harsh...at least one of us will be able to communicate (yes yes I am aware most people speak excellent English...)

8:29 AM  
Blogger shirley said...

Kuch kuch hota hai old monk thakalie. Now what's up.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home